Tovarisch, I Am Not Dead.
HomeAbout the FilmTrailerMovie BlogHistorical BlogAbout the BookScreenings and FestivalsPress
Historical Blog

Monday 21 August 2006

Remembering The Gulags Through Art


While searching for information about other survivors of the Gulags I came across the story of an artist who spent 8 years in Stalin's prisons. Nikolai Getman was arrested in 1945 for the crime of meeting with other artists - one of them drew a caricature of Stalin and all of them were arrested. Nikolai, after his trial in 1946 was sent to Taishetlag in Russia's Irkutsk Oblast.

While Nikolai's story echos many that I have read, it is the images on his site that made me feel I had to include his tale as part of Tovarisch, I Am Not Dead.

As an artist Nikolai felt that he should make a record of the Gulag, and upon his release in 1953 he started a 40 year project, in secret, to create a series of paintings and sculptures.

The images on both pages on the site that I found are both moving and disturbing, and are accompanied by the artist's own recollections.

No comments:

 
©2007 Cyclops Vision, All Rights Reserved | Terms of Use | Accessibility Statement | Site Map